Basic Biographical Details

Name: Coe & Hofland
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1856
Ended: 1857
Bio Notes: Henry Edward Coe was born in 1826, the son of Henry John Coe, solicitor. Prior to 1849 he was a pupil in the office of George Gilbert Scott simultaneously with George Edmund Street but full details of his early training are lacking as he never sought election to the RIBA. According to his obituarist he 'obtained the honour of being placed first in the competition for the Foreign Offices, but was not allowed the priviledge [sic] of carrying this out'. In 1849 he set up practice in partnership with ___Goodwin who has not yet been traced, their earliest known works being Holy Trinity, Bracknell, Berkshire, and the Birmingham Blind Institute, both won in competition in 1849. In 1852 they won the competition for the Dundee Infirmary, which resulted in three further works in Dundee and district.

The partnership with Goodwin ended in 1856 when Coe entered into partnership with H H Hofland and won the competition for the War Office with a French Visconti-type design, but this partnership ended when Coe entered into a third partnership with Frederick Peck which lasted until Peck's death in 1875.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1London, EnglandBusiness18561857 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Henry Edward Coe18561857Partner 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Port, M H1995Imperial London: Civil Government Building in London, 1851-1915 New Haven & London: Yale University Press