Basic Biographical Details

Name: Coe & Goodwin
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1849
Ended: After 1856
Bio Notes: Edwin Morton Goodwin and Henry Edward Coe founded the London partnership of Coe & Goodwin in 1849 with a City address at 4 Frederick Place, Old Jewry. Coe was a pupil of George Gilbert Scott but Goodwin's background is not yet known. In that year they won the competitions for Holy Trinity Bracknell, Berkshire, and the Birmingham Blind Institute; and in 1852 they won a further competition for the Infirmary in Dundee, in turn bringing a wider clientele which was lost as a result of their incautious use of Caen stone for dressed work.

The partnership ended shortly after 1856 when Coe won the competition for the War Office in association with HH Hofland. Goodwin then concentrated on the South-West Wales side of the business where they had built Whitland Church for the Hon W H Yelverton of Whitland Abbey, a slate magnate. Until the mid 1860s Goodwin continued to live in London, but subsequently he settled at Laugharne (1867-68), Pontfaen (1868), Haverfordwest and Kidwelly (1877) to be more conveniently located for his Welsh practice which included the reconstruction of Whitland Abbey and much church, rectory and school building.

In 1874 Goodwin bankrupted himself on housing developments at Burry Port, and on the Whitland Estate the house he built for himself at Plas y Fain was abandoned incomplete and demolished. Nevertheless he retained Yelverton's confidence and within a few years he was architect for large developments in Carmarthen, Whitland and Saundersfoot. By 1877 he was living at Leatherhead, but by 1892 he was back in Pembrokeshire at Saundersfoot. The date of his death is not yet known, but he appears to have been involved in further extensive developments at Whitland as late as 1895.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 14, Frederick Place, London, EnglandBusiness1849  

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Edwin Morton Goodwin  Partner 
Item 2 of 2Henry Edward Coe18491856Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 71849Birmingham Blind Institute  BirminghamEnglandWon in competition
Item 2 of 71849Holy TrinityBracknell BerkshireEnglandWon in competition
Item 3 of 71851Dundee Royal Infirmary  DundeeScotlandWon in competition
Item 4 of 71853Baldovan Institution  DundeeScotland 
Item 5 of 71853Corn Exchange  DundeeScotlandPlans prepared - not executed
Item 6 of 71853Farington Hall  DundeeScotland 
Item 7 of 71853St Mary Magdalene's Episcopal Church  DundeeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5Architects Engineers and Building Trades Directory1868Architect's, Engineer's and Building Trades' Directory London, Wyman 
Item 2 of 5British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914   
Item 3 of 5Harper, Roger H1983Victorian Architectural Competitions: An Index to British and Irish Architectural Competitions… London: Mansell Publishing 
Item 4 of 5Port, M H1995Imperial London: Civil Government Building in London, 1851-1915 New Haven & London: Yale University Press 
Item 5 of 5RCAHMS1992Dundee on Record RCAHMSCompetition design of Dundee Royal Infirmary p44