Basic Biographical Details

Name: A F Duncan & G D Copland
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1903
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Allan Ferguson Duncan and George Donaldson Copland began independent practice in partnership in May 1903 at 146 West Regent Street, Glasgow, under the name of A F Duncan & G D Copland. Ferguson, born at Glen Bank, Port Glasgow on 21 May 1870 the son of Robert Duncan, master shipbuilder and his wife Mary Ferguson, had begun his apprenticeship with Clarke & Bell in May 1892, remaining as draughtsman to Bell until he set up practice with Copland, with the exception of the period from August 1901 to March 1902 which he had spent sketching and measuring in Italy and Spain. Copland, born on 3 July 1874, had commenced his articles with the same firm a year earlier than Duncan, in May 1891. He had taken a break from his apprenticeship from August to November 1893 to travel in Canada and the United States. He remained with Clark & Bell as an assistant for a further two years after completing his training, leaving in March 1898 to join the Glasgow Corporation Engineer's Department. He served as an assistant there for five years, with the exception of the period from 31 March to 8 July 1902 which he spent sketching and measuring in France and Italy.

Both were elected LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects.

The partnership continued until Copland's death from bronchitis on 3 December 1938, but latterly his principal business was as an insurance broker, the occupation given on his death certificate. He was survived by his wife Helen Tyre and son Ian. Duncan continued to practise under the same title until his death less than three years later.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1146, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessMay 1903After 1911 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Allan Ferguson DuncanMay 1903 Partner 
Item 2 of 4George Donaldson CoplandMay 19031938Partner 
Item 3 of 4Alexander Adam1905 or 1906After 1911Assistant 
Item 4 of 4Alexander AdamBefore 1930c. 1940Senior Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 191903Clutha Weaving Factory  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 2 of 19After 1903AbattoirPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 3 of 19After 1903CottagesCathcart GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 19After 1903Factory for Arthur & Henshaw  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 19After 1903Factory for Carsons Ltd  Glasgow?ScotlandAdditions
Item 6 of 19After 1903Factory for John Tullis & Sons  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 7 of 19After 1903Factory for Messrs J Brown & Sons  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 8 of 19After 1903Factory for R & J Dick Ltd  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 9 of 19After 1903Glasgow University Football Pavilion  GlasgowScotland 
Item 10 of 19After 1903HouseDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 11 of 19After 1903HouseHamilton LanarkshireScotland 
Item 12 of 19After 1903House, Montgomerie Drive  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 13 of 19After 1903Kirn Parish Church HallsKirn ArgyllScotlandAdditions
Item 14 of 19After 1903Tenements and villasPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 15 of 19After 1903Triple villaPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 16 of 191905Broadstone Jubilee HospitalPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 17 of 191905Football pavilion, University Avenue  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 191910Barrowfield Works  GlasgowScotlandTop storey added to main block
Item 19 of 191911Coronation Picture House  GlasgowScotland 

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v17 no1236; L v16 no 1194