Basic Biographical Details

Name: Anderson Simon & Crawford
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1899
Ended: 1902
Bio Notes: Frank Lewis Worthington Simon was born on 31 March 1862 at Darmstadt, Germany, the son of David Worthington Simon DD MA PhD. He was educated at Tettenhall College, Wolverhampton and the King Edward VI Grammar School in Birmingham, and was articled to John Cotton in Birmingham in 1879. At the end of his apprenticeship, c.1882, he became an assistant to Jethro Anstice Cossins in the same city before joining the atelier of Jean Louis Pascal and enrolling c.1883 at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts where he spent only one year and was a contemporary of Alexander Nisbet Paterson, John Keppie and Stewart Henbest Capper, sharing rooms with the latter two. After completing the course he spent about a year in Glasgow with Burnet Son & Campbell in 1886 and then a similar period with Wardrop & Anderson: according to his RIBA nomination paper he joined that firm just prior to George Washington Browne's departure. Throughout that period, from sometime before March 1885, Simon had his own studio at 8 York Place from which he made a fine series of drawings of old Edinburgh which formed the basis of his 'Etchings of Old Edinburgh'. He won the Tite Prize in 1887 and commenced independent practice in the following year at 34 St Andrew Square, his first significant commission being a fine house, Outwood, at 8 Mortonhall Road for his father, who had now become Principal Simon. He then formed a partnership with his fellow student at Pascal's, Stewart Henbest Capper, winning the competition for Hope Chapel, Wigan, in 1888.

In 1890 Simon came into prominence as the architect of the Edinburgh International Exhibition of that year, working in collaboration with the artist-architect William Allan Carter who also had his own studio at 5 St Andrew Square; in that same year Rowand Anderson and David MacGibbon persuaded thirty well-off individuals to subscribe 1,200 for the formation of the Edinburgh School of Applied Art at the Royal Institution. When classes commenced on 17 October 1892 Simon was its first professor with George Mackie Watson as first assistant, quickly joined by his brother John who had run the Edinburgh Architectural Association classes and by Capper, the last giving the School as a whole a marked Ecole des Beaux-Arts bias in its teaching. All owed their appointments to Anderson's patronage, the Watson brothers also being ex-assistants of Anderson's while Capper was an ex-assistant of his former partner George Washington Browne.

Simon moved his private practice to 36 Hanover Street late in 1891 or early 1892. The School of Applied Art was hugely successful in attracting students and later that same year 1892, pressure of work at the School - where the classes were from 8 to 10am - induced Simon to end his partnership with Capper and enter a short-lived partnership with Charles Edward Tweedie. Tweedie's provenance is not yet known but he had a one-year-old son suggesting an age of about thirty. The Simon & Tweedie partnership won the competition for Llanelly Town Hall in 1892 but lost the commission to the local architect William Griffiths. It had more success in Manchester where Simon had won the competition for the Macfadyen Memorial Church, an office being opened in Manchester to build it. The Simon & Tweedie partnership seems to have closed late in 1895 or early in 1896 and in 1897 Simon resigned his chair to concentrate wholly on his practice.

About 1898 Simon merged his practice with that of Alexander Hunter Crawford Crawford had been born in 1865 of the biscuit-making family. He had been articled c.1880 to John Russell Walker and had remained there until 1885 or 1886 when he had moved to London. After a couple of short-term appointments he had secured a place in the office of Ralph Selden Wornum in 1887, from whom he had moved to the LCC Architects Department for six months early in 1891. He had returned to Edinburgh in August 1891 to commence independent practice at 39 York Place.

The new partnership of Simon & Crawford was based in Simon's office at 36 Hanover Street. In the following year, 1899, there was a further merger with Rowand Anderson's practice as Anderson, Simon & Crawford. While some clients saw Anderson's age and difficult temperament as a problem - he was then sixty-five - the catalyst may have been the competition for the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1901 for which they prepared an entry. This partnership also proved brief, being dissolved in 1902 as a result of a lawsuit. Simon and Craword then reverted to their previous partnership name, with an office at 10 Randolph Place, Simon's address then being 67 Great King Street.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 116, Rutland Square, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate18991902 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 17John McIntyre1899January 1900Apprentice 
Item 2 of 17Walter Symington Athol Gordon18991901Apprentice 
Item 3 of 17(Sir) Robert Rowand Anderson18991902Partner 
Item 4 of 17Frank Lewis Worthington Simon18991902Partner 
Item 5 of 17James McLachlan18991902Assistant 
Item 6 of 17Peter Reid18991902Apprentice 
Item 7 of 17John Stuart Syme18991902Chief Assistant 
Item 8 of 17Alexander Hunter Crawford1899July 1902Partner 
Item 9 of 17William Meek Page18991903Chief Assistant 
Item 10 of 17John Alfred Taylor HoustonMay 1899May 1900Assistant 
Item 11 of 17James Straton FerrierOctober 18991902Apprentice 
Item 12 of 17William Beattie-Brown19001902Draughtsman 
Item 13 of 17David Morton Brown19001902Assistantunder Alexander Hunter Crawford
Item 14 of 17William Dean19011901  
Item 15 of 17Donald MacPherson Gordon19011901Assistant 
Item 16 of 17Walter Fairbairn19011902Chief Assistant 
Item 17 of 17John Thomas Galletlyc. 1901c. 1902Junior Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 221899Colinton Bank HouseColinton EdinburghScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 2 of 221899District Asylum for Midlothian and PeeblesRoslin/Rosslyn MidlothianScotlandTwo new wings added
Item 3 of 221899Falkirk Old Parish ChurchFalkirk StirlingshireScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 4 of 221899Feuing, Braid Estate  EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 221899Feuing, Fettes Estate  EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 221899Freeland House  PerthshireScotlandAdditions - partial remodelling of entrance front
Item 7 of 221899Inchinnan Parish ChurchInchinnan RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 8 of 221899Keir HouseDunblane PerthshireScotlandNew dining room and smoking room and gates of old Lecropt churchyard
Item 9 of 221899Perth Evangelical Union ChurchPerth PerthshireScotlandBegun by Simon alone; completed in partnership
Item 10 of 221899Pollok House, including lodges  GlasgowScotlandAdditions and alterations - porch, kitchen wing and terrace. Glasgow Storey gives details of alterations: The changes included installing electric lighting, a modern kitchen and additional bathrooms with hot and cold running water. Also two new wings constructed. This billiard room is on the principal floor in one of the new wings.
Item 11 of 221899University of St Andrews, St Mary's CollegeSt Andrews FifeScotlandRemodelling of senate room in library
Item 12 of 221900Dalmeny Street Drill HallLeith EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 221900Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline FifeScotlandWest window of south transept?
Item 14 of 221900Ecton LodgeInverleith EdinburghScotlandAlexander Hunter Crawford mainly responsible
Item 15 of 221900University of St Andrews, Chapel of St SalvatorSt Andrews FifeScotlandPulpit
Item 16 of 221901Claremont Congregational ChurchBlackpool LancashireEngland 
Item 17 of 221901Pearce Memorial Hall and InstituteGovan GlasgowScotlandExecuted scheme
Item 18 of 221901St James Episcopal ChurchCupar FifeScotlandPulpit - Anderson responsible (executed by Whytock, Reid & Co, Edinburgh)
Item 19 of 221901Villas, 16-18 Primrose Bank RoadTrinity EdinburghScotlandAlterations (designed by Crawford)
Item 20 of 221902Baile-na-CoilleBalmoral AberdeenshireScotlandMay have begun in partnership but completed by Anderson
Item 21 of 221902Balmoral CastleBalmoral AberdeenshireScotlandAlterations and additions including infill of arches on south front (or possibly by Mackenzie). Raising service court on south side. Also other work on estate.
Item 22 of 221902Inchinnan Parish Church HallInchinnan RenfrewshireScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.