Basic Biographical Details

Name: Anderson & Browne
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1881
Ended: 1883
Bio Notes: In 1879 Robert Rowand Anderson engaged as his senior assistant George Washington Browne who had previously been an assistant to William Eden Nesfield in London: Anderson was then heavily committed on both the Medical School and the Caledonian Station in Glasgow. The practice then moved to larger premises at 24 Hill Street, and in 1881 Browne was taken into partnership, the practice title becoming Anderson and Browne. In 1883 the practices of Anderson & Browne and Wardrop & Reid were merged under the title of Wardrop, Anderson & Browne, although Anderson remained senior partner, as the surviving partner of Wardrop & Reid. Hew M Wardrop was then only twenty-seven.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 124, Hill Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness18811883 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 12John Campbell Turner Murray18811882Assistant 
Item 2 of 12John Watson18811882Assistant 
Item 3 of 12(Sir) Robert Rowand Anderson18811883Partner 
Item 4 of 12George Washington Browne18811883Partner 
Item 5 of 12Arthur George Sydney Mitchell18811883Apprentice 
Item 6 of 12Thomas Roger Kitsell18811883Assistant 
Item 7 of 12Robert Weir Schultz18811883Apprentice 
Item 8 of 12Rhoderic (or Roderic/Roderick) Cameron18811883Assistant 
Item 9 of 12Thomas Tolmie Paterson18811883Apprentice 
Item 10 of 12George Mackie Watson18811883Assistant 
Item 11 of 12Thomas Rollo Walker Mossman1881May 1883Apprentice 
Item 12 of 12William James Anderson1881c. 1883Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 1318814, 6, 8 Nile GroveMorningside EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 131881Central Station Hotel  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 131881(?)Conservative Club  EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 131881St Andrews Parish ChurchNorth Berwick East LothianScotland 
Item 5 of 131881St George's Free Church  EdinburghScotlandTower
Item 6 of 131881St John Street Church  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 131881St John's Episcopal ChurchForfar AngusScotland 
Item 8 of 131881University of Edinburgh, Medical School and McEwan Hall  EdinburghScotlandMedical School built
Item 9 of 131882House  EdinburghScotland 
Item 10 of 131882Leith Sailors' HomeLeith EdinburghScotlandCompetition design - not successful (Francois Ier style)
Item 11 of 131882St Michaels and All Angels Episcopal ChurchHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandAddition of tower
Item 12 of 13June 1882St Patrick's RC ChurchTroon AyrshireScotlandUnexecuted designs
Item 13 of 131901Dunbar Parish ChurchDunbar East LothianScotlandAlterations for organ

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.