© All rights reserved.  courtesy of RCAHMS. Licensor www.rcahms.gov.uk 

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Biographical Details

Name: Hew Maitland Wardrop (later Hew Montgomerie Wardrop)
Designation: Architect
Born: 24 February 1856
Died: 4 November 1887
Bio Notes: Hew Maitland Wardrop was born in Edinburgh on 24 February 1856 (Johnston gives 3 March; perhaps this was the date of his christening), the second son of James Maitland Wardrop, architect, and his wife Anna Maria Dundas, 5th daughter of James Dundas of Dundas Castle. He was educated at Edinburgh Academy from 1866 to 1870 and articled to his father and his partner Charles Reid c.1870-74. He then obtained a place in the office of George Edmund Street in London. While at Street's he probably studied at the Royal Academy Schools, though this has still to be checked. While in Street's office he appears to have become acquainted with the John James Stevenson - George Gilbert Scott Junior circle as he returned to his father's office a skilful exponent of 'Queen Anne' and an Aesthetic Movement version of neo-Jacobean.

Wardrop's father died on 27 June 1882. Either then, or perhaps slightly earlier, he became a partner in the firm. Although Reid had now become senior partner, the practice title of Wardrop & Reid was retained. Reid died in the following year when Wardrop was only twenty-seven, causing him to merge his practice with that of Robert Rowand Anderson and George Washington Browne, the latter of whom he had probably known in London. The practice title then became Wardrop, Anderson & Browne, based in the former Wardrop & Reid office at 19 St Andrew Square. For reasons not entirely clear, Browne withdrew from the partnership in 1885, the practice title becoming Wardrop & Anderson.

By 1886 Wardrop's work became increasingly Arts and Crafts in character, as can be seen in his sensitive additions to Tillyfour. His site architect there was his favourite pupil, Robert Stodart Lorimer, who was to name his son Hew after him.

Wardrop died suddenly of appendicitis on 4 November 1887 at Udny Castle, Aberdeenshire, where he had been engaged on decorative work. By that date he appears to have changed his middle name to Montgomerie. The reasons for this are not known: it may have been to avoid confusion with his brother and it cannot have related to inheritance, as he left only 1,510 12s 4d, which cannot have represented much more than his share of the Wardrop & Anderson partnership. He never married and was survived by three brothers: James Charles, born 2 August 1854, who became a WS and joint Secretary of the Life Association, settling in London with a house in Buckinghamshire in 1890; Henry Alfred, born 4 May 1858, who settled in New Zealand in 1879 but returned on his father's death to become land agent to the Earl of Suffolk; and Maitland Dalrymple, born 8 October 1859, who was articled as an architect in Edinburgh and worked in an unspecified London office prior to emigrating in 1881 to Virginia. He returned in 1885, but did not resume practice, becoming an Anglican clergyman.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2The Lodge, Forbes Road, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness  Check to see if this remained in his hands after the death of his father
Item 2 of 219, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 18701887 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6Brown & Wardropc. 18701874Apprentice 
Item 2 of 6Wardrop & Reid18741874Apprentice 
Item 3 of 6George Edmund Street1874c. 1882Assistant(?) 
Item 4 of 6Wardrop & Reidc. 18821883Partner 
Item 5 of 6Wardrop, Anderson & Browne18831885Partner 
Item 6 of 6Wardrop & Anderson18851887Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 481882Houses, Hermitage Terrace  EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 481882St Mary's Parish ChurchHawick RoxburghshireScotlandRebuilding after fire - apparently begun under Wardrop & Reid and completed under Wardrop, Anderson & Browne
Item 3 of 481883Beaufort CastleBeauly Inverness-shireScotlandCompletion of building
Item 4 of 481883Freeland House  PerthshireScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 481883Lady Flora Hastings HomesColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 481883Moredun Crescent  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 481883Normand Memorial HallDysart FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 481883The HirselColdstream BerwickshireScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 9 of 48188441-53 Nile Grove  EdinburghScotland 
Item 10 of 481884BielBeesknowe East LothianScotlandAlterations
Item 11 of 481884Catholic Apostolic Church  EdinburghScotlandCompletion of West end
Item 12 of 481884Houses, Nile Grove  EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 481884Kirkliston Parish ChurchKirkliston West LothianScotlandRestoration and additions.
Item 14 of 481884Preston HouseLinlithgow West LothianScotlandAlterations?
Item 15 of 481884St Margaret's Episcopal ChurchBiel East LothianScotland 
Item 16 of 481884Stornoway Parish ChurchStornowayLewisRoss and CromartyScotlandAlterations
Item 17 of 481884Whitekirk ChurchWhitekirk East LothianScotlandNew nave ceiling and alterations (drawings dated)
Item 18 of 481885Ballochmyle HouseMauchline AyrshireScotlandReconstruction and extension - believed to have been responsible for design
Item 19 of 481885Braid UP Church  EdinburghScotlandBegun in partnership, completed by Browne in independent practice
Item 20 of 481885Buccleuch and Queensberry Memorial  EdinburghScotland 
Item 21 of 481885Crichton Mains farmhouse and stables  MidlothianScotland 
Item 22 of 481885Crichton Village, farm workers' cottagesCrichton MidlothianScotland 
Item 23 of 481885Hamilton Parish Church Halls and SchoolsHamilton LanarkshireScotland 
Item 24 of 481885Morningside Toll House  EdinburghScotland 
Item 25 of 481885National Portrait Gallery and Museum of Antiquities  EdinburghScotlandAnderson responsible for design
Item 26 of 481885Pitmedden HouseUdny AberdeenshireScotlandProposed reconstruction - not executed; exhibited as Harry Wardrop's work
Item 27 of 481885Place of Tillyfour  AberdeenshireScotlandReconstruction
Item 28 of 481885Queen's HallCharlestown FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 481885St James' Episcopal ChurchGoldenacre EdinburghScotland 
Item 30 of 48c. 1885Cassillis HouseMaybole AyrshireScotlandAddition of new wing with library (employed there 1886-7 according to Buildings of Scotland)
Item 31 of 481886Airfield FarmCousland (near) MidlothianScotlandReceived payment for work at Airfield (though practice had changed to Wardrop & Anderson in 1885)
Item 32 of 481886All Saints Episcopal Church  EdinburghScotlandScheme to add Lady Chapel with organ loft above (on site of original chamber)
Item 33 of 481886Beesknowe Farmhouse   Scotland 
Item 34 of 481886Biel estate, cottages for upper servantsBiel East LothianScotland 
Item 35 of 481886Biel HouseStenton East LothianScotlandCompletion of work on chapel in partnership - porch
Item 36 of 481886Hoddom CastleEcclefechan DumfriesshireScotlandAdditions (also piers to south of Castle & probably estate buildings and west lodge)
Item 37 of 481886Udny Castle with lodge and gates  AberdeenshireScotlandInterior work
Item 38 of 481886University of Edinburgh, Old College  EdinburghScotlandDome - Anderson responsible for design
Item 39 of 48c. 1886St Anne's Episcopal ChurchDunbar East LothianScotlandDesign
Item 40 of 4818871-11 Inverleith PlaceInverleith EdinburghScotlandCommissioned by Sutherland & Sons, builders; completed by Anderson after Wardrop's death
Item 41 of 481887British Linen BankPeebles PeeblesshireScotlandConstruction
Item 42 of 481887Burnbrae HouseCurrie MidlothianScotland 
Item 43 of 481887(?)Double Villas, Braid Avenue  EdinburghScotlandPossibly involved initially
Item 44 of 481887Easter Coates House  EdinburghScotlandExtension at north end
Item 45 of 481887Ford Cottages     
Item 46 of 481887Holy Trinity Episcopal ChurchPitlochry PerthshireScotlandExtensions of nave proposed but not built
Item 47 of 481887(?)Selkirk Episcopal ParsonageSelkirk SelkirkshireScotlandReconstruction and enlargement
Item 48 of 481891Freeland House  PerthshireScotlandLodge

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Colvin, H M1995A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-18403rd editionNew Haven and London: Yale University PressEntry for Thomas Brown
Item 2 of 3Johnston, W T2003Artists of Scotland Officina Publications CDROM 
Item 3 of 3The Edinburgh Academy Register1914    

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Photographic Archive Pencil portrait by J H Lorimer at Kellie - copied by NMRS Acc N0 2001/17 (illustrated in Architectural Heritage XIII, p157
Item 2 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from the Wardrop family.

Images

© All rights reserved.  courtesy of RCAHMS. Licensor www.rcahms.gov.uk 

© All rights reserved. courtesy of RCAHMS. Licensor www.rcahms.gov.uk