Basic Biographical Details

Name: Thomas Whytock Reid
Designation: Architect
Born: 7 May 1912
Died: 21 September 1967
Bio Notes: Thomas Whytock Reid was born on 7 May 1912, the son of Thomas Reid, wine and spirit merchant, and his wife Margaret Baxter Whytock. He was articled to Mills & Shepherd of Dundee from 1928 to 1933, attending classes at Dundee Technical School and for four years with the International Correspondence School. He was appointed assistant to J C Cunningham of St Andrews in 1935, and on 1 June the following year moved to Monifieth, Angus to join the Burgh Surveyor's Department as assistant, moving to a similar post in Kirkcaldy on 1 December 1937. On 1 February 1939 he was appointed chief architectural assistant in the Electricity Department of Dundee Corporation. He was commissioned in the Royal Engineers on 10 June 1939 but apparently stayed in the Dundee Electricity Department until 1 September.

He was admitted LRIBA on 16 October 1945, his proposers being John Donald Mills, Patrick Hill Thoms and Charles Geddes Soutar. At that time he was living at 9 Renwick Terrace, Hawick, and was on active service. His nomination papers state that his only travels prior to that date had been undertaken in wartime, and had embraced Rome, Florence and Siena. By 1950 he had moved to Dundee and gave his address in that year as 10 Reform Street. This had been the office of Maclaren Soutar & Salmond but only until 1920.

Reid remained in Dundee and died in Fernbrae Nursing Home on 21 September 1967. His wife Netta Thomson had predeceased him.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 328, Farington Street, Dundee, ScotlandPrivate 1967 
Item 2 of 39, Renwick Terrace, Hawick, Roxburghshire, ScotlandPrivate1945 *  
Item 3 of 310, Reform Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness1950 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Mills & Shepherd19281933Apprentice 
Item 2 of 5John Colville Cunningham19351936Assistant 
Item 3 of 5Monifieth Burgh Surveyor's Office1 June 19361 December 1937Assistant 
Item 4 of 5Kirkcaldy Burgh Surveyor's Office1 December 19371 February 1939Chief Assistant 
Item 5 of 5Dundee Corpoation Electrical Department1 February 19391 September 1939Chief Assistant 

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1William Lamond Galloway1953After 1956Chief Assistant 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3John Donald Mills16 October 1945for Licentiateship
Item 2 of 3Charles Geddes Soutar16 October 1945for Licentiateship
Item 3 of 3Patrick Hill Thoms16 October 1945for Licentiateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11959Church HallGrange, Errol PerthshireScotlandAlterations

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L no5795 (combined box 100)