Basic Biographical Details

Name: Campbell Douglas & Morrison
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1889
Ended: c. 1901
Bio Notes: After the death of James Sellars in October 1888, Campbell Douglas took into partnership the very competent Alexander Barr Morrison, one of his leading draughtsmen. The more talented John Keppie left to join John Honeyman and was allowed to take the commission for Anderson's College of Medicine with him; Douglas retained the other work then in hand.

The practice of Campbell Douglas & Morrison had a fair degree of success, winning the competitions for the public libraries at Ayr and Perth and coming second to Dunn and Findlay at the Adam Smith Memorial and Beveridge Halls at Kirkcaldy. Their work was refined in detail if unadventurous.

Around 1901 Campbell Douglas 'found it necessary' to dissolve the partnership with Morrison; the problem is said to have been Morrison's addiction to drink. Morrison then merged his practice with that of Thomson, Turnbull & Peacock, the practice title now being Morrison, Turnbull & Peacock, the sequence of names suggesting that Robert Turnbull had retired and that Alexander Turnbull had been taken into partnership, the firm now describing itself as civil engineers as well as architects and surveyors. This arrangement proved to be brief and is known only from an amendment to the Glasgow directories traced by William Williamson, the practice title reverting to Thomson Turnbull & Peacock. After a brief period as sole partner, Douglas merged his practice with that of Alexander Nisbet Paterson.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1226, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1896 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 13Robert Yates Mayor18881889Assistant 
Item 2 of 13Eric Alexander SutherlandLate 1888 or early 18891892Apprentice 
Item 3 of 13William Tait ConnerFebruary 1889August 1889Assistant 
Item 4 of 13Campbell Douglasc. 18891901Senior Partner 
Item 5 of 13Alexander Barr Morrisonc. 18891901Partner 
Item 6 of 13John Duncan MacLeod31 August 1891c. 1896Apprentice 
Item 7 of 13Eric Alexander Sutherland18921893Assistant 
Item 8 of 13Thomas McMillan18921897Apprentice 
Item 9 of 13David ThomsonAugust 18951900Apprentice 
Item 10 of 13William Craig BoydSeptember 1895January 1901Apprentice 
Item 11 of 13John Duncan MacLeodc. 18961898Assistant 
Item 12 of 13Thomas McMillan1897c. 1901Junior Draughtsman 
Item 13 of 13David Thomson19001901Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 251889Bonhill Free ChurchBonhill DunbartonshireScotlandAlts and adds
Item 2 of 251891Ayr Public LibraryAyr AyrshireScotlandWon competition and secured job
Item 3 of 251891NetherhallLargs AyrshireScotlandAddition
Item 4 of 251891Victoria InfirmaryLangside GlasgowScotlandSecond part, including nurses' home and additional pavilion
Item 5 of 25After 1892Canaan House  EdinburghScotlandMorrison involved if before 1902
Item 6 of 25After 1892Cottages at NetherhallLargs AyrshireScotland 
Item 7 of 25c. 1892Property, Lochee Road and Union Place  DundeeScotland 
Item 8 of 251893Bridgend UP ChurchBridgend, Perth PerthshireScotland 
Item 9 of 251893Cowan InstitutePenicuik MidlothianScotland 
Item 10 of 251894Adam Smith Memorial and Beveridge Halls and LibraryKirkcaldy FifeScotlandCompetition design - placed second
Item 11 of 251894Discharged Prisoners' Aid Society  GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 251894Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich Parish ChurchLochgoilhead ArgyllScotlandAlterations and new north porch
Item 13 of 251895Inveraray Free ChurchInveraray ArgyllScotland 
Item 14 of 251895Sandeman Public LibraryPerth PerthshireScotlandWon competition and secured job
Item 15 of 25After 1895Large schools  Glasgow (and neighbourhood)Scotland 
Item 16 of 251896Milngavie Free Church and HallMilngavie DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 17 of 251896Paisley Technical SchoolPaisley RenfrewshireScotlandCompetition design
Item 18 of 251896Roshven HouseKinlochmoidart Inverness-shireScotlandSubstantial additions
Item 19 of 251897Dalry UP ChurchSt John's Town of Dalry KirkcudbrightshireScotland 
Item 20 of 251897Kirkcaldy Burgh Infectious Diseases HospitalKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 251898DoonholmAyr AyrshireScotlandAddition
Item 22 of 251899Victoria InfirmaryLangside GlasgowScotlandThird part, including isolation pavilion and operating rooms
Item 23 of 251899Warehouse, North Canal Bank Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 24 of 251900Glasgow Royal Infirmary  GlasgowScotlandCompetition design - unplaced
Item 25 of 251900St Michael's HouseInveresk MidlothianScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Williamson, William2011Robert Turnbull IA of Lenzie