Basic Biographical Details

Name: G N Beattie & Morton
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1904
Ended: 1909
Bio Notes: George Nicholas Beattie was born in 1869 the son of the architect and civil engineer of Port Adelaide, and was educated at Whinham College, Adelaide, South Australia. He was articled to George Dale Oliver in Carlisle in 1887 and remained as assistant until 1892 when he became assistant to John Rust in Aberdeen for one year and then to James Miller in Glasgow for seven years. During his time with Miller he carried on a small private practice from his flat at 152 Parliamentary Road, first appearing in the Directories in 1896.

In 1900 he commenced independent practice at 121 St Vincent Street, his business consisting mainly of tenements. In 1902 or early in 1903 he formed a partnership with John Gibb Morton who was the son of the goods manager of the Caledonian Railway: nothing is yet known of his training. The partnership was dissolved in 1909, perhaps because of the impact of the increment tax in the Finance Act of that year. The St Vincent Street office was closed, Beattie taking chambers at 109 Hope Street and Morton at 74 Bath Street, with William James Smith as apprentice.

Morton's practice did not prosper sufficiently. Late in 1910 or early in 1911 when he was engaged to be married and in arrears with rent, he emigrated to Canada pawning the office equipment to do so. His father closed the practice providing Smith with sufficient funds to settle the rent and redeem his instruments. Smith then transferred his apprenticeship to John Hamilton & Son, while Morton seems to have had a reasonably successful career in Toronto.

Beattie was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, his proposers being Oliver, Henry Edward Clifford and George Bell. He died in 1932.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1121, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1902 or 19031905(?)At least until 1905

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3John Gibb Mortonc. 19041909Partner 
Item 2 of 3George Nicholas Beattiec. 19041909Partner 
Item 3 of 3(Professor) William James Smith12 October 19081909Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11After 190015 tenements, Burnham TerraceScotstoun GlasgowScotland 
Item 2 of 111903Tenements, Balgrayhill Road  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 111904Glass warehouse for William Cotterill/Cotterell, 118-120 Howard Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 111904St Paul's Parish Church  GlasgowScotlandSecond premiated competition design
Item 5 of 11c. 1904Hamilton Parish Council ChambersHamilton LanarkshireScotlandCompetition design
Item 6 of 11c. 1904House for Herr OswaldMilngavie DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 7 of 111905NordheimBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 111908Airport ClubPrestwick AyrshireScotland 
Item 9 of 111908Masonic TempleHamilton LanarkshireScotlandCompetition design
Item 10 of 111908St Cuthbert Golf PavilionPrestwick AyrshireScotland 
Item 11 of 11Mid 1900sBellshill Municipal BuildingsBellshill LanarkshireScotlandDate unknown

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Who's Who in Architecture1914    
Item 2 of 2Who's Who in Architecture1926    

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from the late Professor William James Smith.