Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Thomas Baillie
Designation: Architect
Born: c. 1858(?)
Died:  
Bio Notes: James Thomas Baillie attended the Edinburgh School of Art and was articled to D & J Bryce in 1873, remaining as assistant until 1893, apart from a nine-month spell as assistant with HM Office of Works in 1883. He set up in independent practice in Portobello in 1893 but continued also to act as assistant to John Bryce until 1895. He was elected FRIBA on 2 December 1907, his proposers being John Bryce II, Hippolyte Jean Blanc and Richard Armstrong.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 234, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1897 *1912 
Item 2 of 29, Melville Street, Portobello, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate1897 *1912 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3D & J Bryce18731878Apprentice 
Item 2 of 3D & J Bryce18781893AssistantContinued to assist J Bryce for two further years after setting up in independent practice (to 1895)
Item 3 of 3H M Office of Works (later Ministry of Works, Department of the Environment and Property Services Agency)18831883Assistant 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Richard Armstrong (junior)2 December 1907for Fellowship
Item 2 of 3Hippolyte Jean Blanc2 December 1907for Fellowship
Item 3 of 3John Bryce II (or John Bryce (junior))2 December 1907for Fellowship

RIBA Proposals

This architect proposed the following individuals for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1John Proudfoot Goodsir20 July 1911for Licentiateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 121881The GlenInnerleithen PeeblesshireScotlandPerspective while working for David & John Bryce
Item 2 of 12After 1893Feuing on Marquis of Linlithgow's estates  West LothianScotland 
Item 3 of 12After 1893Four two-storey cottagesKinghorn FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 12After 1893House for Dr StephensBrora SutherlandScotland 
Item 5 of 12After 1893House, stables, offices and entrance gateMusselburgh MidlothianScotland 
Item 6 of 12After 1893Lymphoy House  MidlothianScotlandRemodelling of existing house and additions of dining-room wing, family rooms etc.
Item 7 of 12After 1893Marr Typefounding Company premises  EdinburghScotland 
Item 8 of 12After 1893Mural monument in stone and marbles   Scotland 
Item 9 of 12After 1893Northesk ChurchMusselburgh MidlothianScotlandMemorial font
Item 10 of 12After 1893Outershill House  MidlothianScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 11 of 121895Alex Cowan & Sons premises, Craigside Works  EdinburghScotlandNew buildings and alterations to existing premises
Item 12 of 121907Alex Cowan & Sons premises, Craigside Works  EdinburghScotlandFurther additions

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914   
Item 2 of 2Post Office Directories     

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers F v10 p1 no1352 (microfilm reel 12)