Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Allan, Ross & Allan |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1945 |
|Ended: ||c. 1980 |
|Bio Notes: ||The firm of Allan, Ross & Allan was formed when brothers John Alexander Ogg Allan and Joseph Anderson Allan took their chief assistant David John Alexander Ross into partnership in 1945. |
The firm of Allan, Ross & Allan was formed when brothers John Alexander Ogg Allan and Joseph Anderson Allan took their chief assistant David John Alexander Ross into partnership in 1945.
John Alexander Ogg Allan (born 9 May 1870) had served his apprenticeship with D & J R McMillan of Aberdeen from 1885 to 1890, remaining as assistant until 1892. He attended Robert Gordon's College and Gray's School of Art, and acquired in addition to his architectural training an extensive knowledge of landscape gardening and furnishing. He became a designer with Messrs J Garvie and Sons from 1892 to 1895, and was Master of Works to Aberdeen School Board from 1895 to 1897 when he was appointed official Architect to the same board, remaining there until 1905. In this capacity and later in private practice he was responsible for a number of new schools, mainly in Aberdeen, and for Aberdeen Training College. He travelled in Europe (including France, Germany and Belgium) and in 1909 spent two months in the USA as Godwin Bursar. He was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912, his proposers being Thomas Harold Hughes, Arthur Clyne and William Milburn Junior, and became FRIBA in 1915, his proposers then being Clyne, Henry Vaughan Lanchester and Thomas Martin Cappon.
Joseph Anderson Allan (born 9 May 1882) had been articled to Arthur Hay Livingstone Mackinnon from 1900 to 1905, studying at the Aberdeen School of Architecture and gaining the first scholarship awarded by the Aberdeen Society of Architects. He spent 1905 and 1906 working for various offices in England and Scotland, including Fryers & Penman of Ayrshire, and in the latter year became chief assistant to Harry Smith Fairhurst of Manchester where he worked on large commercial buildings. He competed for the RIBA Tite Prize in 1908 and although he did not win the award, the assessor, Paul Waterhouse, stated that 'he regarded the design as value for 4th place, in a year of exceptionally keen competition'. In 1912 he left Fairhurst and returned to Aberdeen to join his brother as chief assistant and junior partner, working principally on educational buildings. He served with H M Forces in France and Italy from 1916 to 1918, returning to continue practising with his brother at the end of the war. He remained associated with his brother thereafter, but from 1925 also occasionally practised independently. He was an Associate of the Aberdeen Society of Architects, acting as Associates' representative on the Council of that society, and was admitted LRIBA on 3 December 1934, his proposers being Mackinnon, John Gibb Marr and his brother. During the Second World War he served as senior surveyor to the Air Ministry on aerodromes at Peterhead, Banff and Kinloss. He was elected FRIBA on 16 October 1945, proposed by his brother, Marr and James Brown Nicol.
David John Alexander Ross (born 22 August 1899) had been articled to Thomas J Munro of Inverness in 1915, and studied at Aberdeen School of Architecture, Robert Gordon's Technical College from 1921 to 1923. Whilst there, in 1922, he was admitted ARIBA. He undertook an 18-month postgraduate course at the College under the Archibald Dawnay Scholarship and was able to travel in France with the aid of the RIAS's Rutland Prize. On his return to Aberdeen c.1925 he joined the Allans as chief assistant. He was responsible for a number of modernist schools designed by the firm in the 1930s.
Ross was admitted FRIBA on 1 April 1952. At this time the practice was based at 10 Bon-Accord Square, where Ross also appears to have been living.
John Alexander Ogg Allan died on 24 or 25 May 1955, leaving £730 8s 6d. According to his RIBA Journal obituary, 'Mr Allan held a distinguished place among architects in Scotland and was regarded in the north, throughout the first half of the present century, as the leading authority in the field of educational building and architecture.' Joseph Anderson Allan died less than a year later, on 15 April 1956. Ross died on 25 May 1975.
The three partners listed in the 1975 RIBA directory are Ross, Thomas Gibson and Mrs V I T Ross, though she was not a member of the RIBA. The practice were still architects to the Aberdeen Burgh Education Authority and the NE Fire Area Joint Board.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|10, Bon-Accord Square, Aberdeen, Scotland||Business||Before 1952||After 1964|| |
|Ross House/13, Bon Accord Square, Aberdeen, Scotland||Business||1975 *||After 1979|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|After 1945(?)||High School for Girls|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Reconstruction - might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945(?)||Housing for the University of Aberdeen|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945(?)||Kaimhill Junior Secondary School|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945(?)||Smithfield Primary School|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945(?)||St Peter's RC School|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945(?)||Stockethill South Primary School|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|After 1945||West Leigh||Pitfodels|| ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Might have been done by Ross and Allan before partnership was formed|
|1948||Higher Grade School Kincorth ||Kincorth|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland|| |
|1950||High School for Girls, Laboratory Block|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||As J A O Allan, and Ross, and Allan. To prepare plans|
|1950||High School for Girls, Middlefield||Middlefield|| ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1950||Nursery/Infant School, Northfield||Northfield|| ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1950||Primary School, Kaimhill||Kaimhill|| ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1952||Aberdeen Town and County Bank Head Office|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Alterations|
|1952||Garthdee Parish Church||Garthdee|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland|| |
|27 March 1953||Cummings Park Primary School, Northfield Housing Site|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||New school|
|Before 1954||St Thomas's Episcopal Church||Aboyne|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Alterations? Additions? - uncertain if involved|
|Before 1955||Hilton Junior Secondary School||Hilton|| ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|Before 1955||Hospital buildings for North Eastern Hospital Board|| || ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Additions?|
|22 November 1957||Dingwall new academy||Dingwall|| ||Ross and Cromarty||Scotland||architect? CHECK|
|1970s||Fabrication sheds for Vetco Offshore Services|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1970s||Offices and warehouses for BOC Ltd|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1970s||Oil services base for Chevron Petroleum UK Ltd|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1970s||Robert Gordon's Institute of Technology, research and further education buildings|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|1970||Kingussie High School||Kingussie|| ||Inverness-shire||Scotland|| |
|1972||Golspie High School, swimming pool||Golspie|| ||Sutherland||Scotland||Unclear who was running the practice at this date. |
|Before 1975||Aberdeen and Dictrict Milk Marketing Board Creamery|| || ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland|| |
|1979||Pallet stores for Aberdeen and District Milk Marketing Board|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland|| |
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Municipal Annual||1964||Scottish Municipal Annual||1964-1965|| || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||15 December 1950|| || ||p649|
|Builder||25 August 1950|| || ||p263|
|Builder||27 March 1953|| || ||p494-496|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||F no4106 (box 32) (Joseph Anderson Allan's Fellowship Paper)|