Basic Biographical Details

Name: Adamson & McLeod
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1868
Ended: c. 1871 or c. 1872
Bio Notes: Alexander Adamson was probably born in c.1830, the son of Alexander Adamson, merchant and his wife Anne Reid. In 1867 he formed a partnership with John McLeod, with an office at 112 West George, Glasgow. McLeod had been born on 1 March 1838, the son of William McLeod, sawmiller and Dean of Guild of Dumbarton, and Mary McAuslan, and may have been a pupil of Adamson. In 1868 the office moved to 160 Hope Street. The partnership was dissolved c.1870-1871, McLeod retaining the existing office whilst Adamson moved briefly to Greenock.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2112, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1867 *  
Item 2 of 2160, Hope Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness18681871 or 1872 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Alexander Adamson1867c. 1871 or c. 1872Partnerafter 1868
Item 2 of 3John McLeod1867c. 1871 or c. 1872Partner 
Item 3 of 3William Flockhart1870c. 1871 or c. 1872Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11870Smollett FountainAlexandria DunbartonshireScotlandWon competition and secured job


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 2Architects Engineers and Building Trades Directory1868Architect's, Engineer's and Building Trades' Directory London, Wyman 
Item 2 of 2Post Office Directories