Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Duncan McNaughtan |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1845 |
|Died: ||26 February 1912 |
|Bio Notes: ||Duncan McNaughtan was born in Rutherglen in 1845 (christened 12 September), the son of Joseph McNaughtan, cotton spinner and his wife Helen Fulton. In 1863 he was articled to William Spence, spending about six years with him before becoming an assistant in the office of Campbell Douglas & Stevenson for six months. He then moved to London, securing a place in the office of William Henry Crossland and John Philpot Jones, which enabled him to study at the South Kensington Schools and to make sketching tours during his spare time of the principal cathedral towns of England. During his time in London he also carried out some work at home from Mr Edgar of Sir George Gilbert Scott's office. He returned to Glasgow to commence business on his own account in January 1871 from premises at 178 St Vincent Street. |
McNaughtan married Elizabeth Smith and they had three sons: Alan George (born 1878), who became an architect; Arthur, who studied architecture at Glasgow School of Art; and Joseph, later of Fernlea, Helensburgh. Alan George, who signed his name MacNaughtan, joined his father's practice in 1904, becoming a partner in 1907.
Duncan McNaughtan was admitted FRIBA on 3 December 1906, his proposers being John Keppie, William Leiper and John James Burnet. In addition to his known works, his nomination paper cites 'a large number of' country houses and villas, terraced houses in the West End of Glasgow, many commercial buildings and workmen's houses.
He died of cardiac syncope at Fraoch, Bearsden on 26 Feburary 1912, his son Alan George continuing as sole practitioner thereafter.
NB: Duncan McNaughtan signed himself thus; his son Alan George inserted an 'a' to become MacNaughtan.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|178, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||January 1871||1877 or 1878|| |
|Lairs Villa, Langside, Glasgow, Scotland||Private(?)||1871 or 1872 *|| ||Unclear whether 'Lewis Villa' and 'Lairs Villa' are different or in fact misreadings for the same building|
|Lewis Villa, Langside, Glasgow, Scotland||Private(?)||1873 or 1874 *|| ||Unclear whether 'Lewis Villa' and 'Lairs Villa' are different or in fact misreadings for the same building|
|2, Kersland Street, Hillhead, Glasgow, Scotland||Private(?)||1873 or 1874||1878 or 1879|| |
|140, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1877 or 1878||Mid 1883|| |
|91, Hamilton Drive, Glasgow, Scotland||Private(?)||1878 or 1879||After 1881|| |
|124, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||Mid 1883||1887 or 1888|| |
|Fraoch, Bearsden, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||Before 1885||1912|| |
|137, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1887 or 1888||1912|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date proposed||Notes|
|(Sir) John James Burnet||3 December 1906||for Fellowship|
|John Keppie||3 December 1906||for Fellowship|
|William Leiper||3 December 1906||for Fellowship|
|This architect proposed the following individuals for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date proposed||Notes|
|Robert Harvie||20 March 1911||for Licentiateship|
|James Austen Laird||20 July 1911||for Licentiateship|
Buildings and Designs
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||9 March 1912|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p355 - obituary of Duncan McNaughtan|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||F v17 p142 no1167 (microfilm reel 12)|